Episode 25: Understanding the Business and Managing Without Being a Developer
In episode 25, Jamison and Dave answer these question:
How do I understand the business side better?
- Analysis of tabs vs spaces
- How does your business make money?
- Just ask your CEO/manager
- Kill the myth of the pointy-haired boss
- Smaller companies expose you to this more
- Just ask questions:
- What was our revenue last month?
- How much did we spend last month?
- Who are our biggest customers?
- How does the sales process work?
- The Dave Smith Method® for learning business jargon.
- Be kind and have empathy when you learn.
Can I be a good technical manager without a technical background?
- Technical leadership vs management.
- Management means empathy and understanding. Can you get that without “coming up through the ranks”?
- What are the skills of a good manager?
- Does being a developer give you those skills?
- Dave is a Night Elf Code Mage.
- How do you handle technical concerns as a non-technical person?
- Don’t fake technical knowledge.
- Leading a team when you don’t directly see the effect of your actions.
- Managing Nerds by Rands.
- Jamison’s former boss’s technical expertise