In episode 28, Jamison and Dave answer these questions:
How long should I stay before I quit my job?
- Two to three years seems fairly normal.
- Dave sees people with less than 12 months regularly.
- Staying at a job means you experience things you wouldn’t if you hopped around a lot.
- It is much easier to see the hype cycle play out if you stick around.
- You get to see the outcome of your own decisions.
- Quitting usually == raise.
- Chronic job hopping might result in a reputation of not sticking with things.
- Dave thinks you should quit your first job after 18 months because of the Monty Hall problem
How do you encourage junior developers to improve?
- We assume that these junior developers really want to improve.
- Make it clear that people get stuck and struggle, and that is normal.
- Make it clear that you don’t want them to get too stuck.
- Make it OK to ask questions.
- People generally live up or down to your expectations, so help them feel trusted and that you expect they will be great.
- Make the outcome of their work clear.